As the interaction between the government, industry, the environment, and the public becomes extremely complex, Public Relations has become an inevitable component of corporate affairs.
PR or Public relations is about shaping and projecting an image as a key element in the drive for success. Top executives now consider a good image as a basic resource in the same way that they view finance or people. As the interaction between the government, industry, the environment, and the public becomes extremely complex, Public Relations has become an inevitable component of corporate affairs.
Public Relations is the corporation communicating with its various publics withthe end in view of winning public understanding, acceptance, and support. Question: What can good public relations do for a bad company? Answer: Run it out of business quicker. Why is this so? Because PR is not only about form, of media mileage, and of cosmetics. It is a public recognition of a substantive performance. In fact PR can very well mean Performance Recognition.
The Role of Corporate Communication
Management analysts estimate that managers spend from 50 to 90 percent of their time communicating. Each communication activity, of course, carries with it specific objectives which relate to any of the following:
1. Corporate Philosophy and Ideology
* Evolve corporate philosophy and ideology.
* Enable officers/ employees to understand, appreciate and express corporate philosophy/ ideology.
* Enable officers/ employees to define and share corporate vision.
* Enable officers/ employees to define their roles in the organization.
2. Corporate Image
* Update on range of company activities.
* Update on company performance (i.e., growth rat, export performance, financial capability).